Using the Internet safely at home
To keep safe they should:
- Use websites recommended by teachers and use a student friendly search engine.
- Consider who created a website and possible bias within information.
- Only email people they know.
- Use caution before opening an email sent by someone they don’t know.
- Use Internet chat rooms, websites, instant messaging etc with caution and know how to block and report unwated users.
- Not use their real name when using games or websites on the Internet - They should use a nick name.
- Never give out any personal information about themselves, friends or family online including home address, phone mobile number.
- Never email your school name or a picture in school uniform (even to a person they know).
- Never arrange to meet anyone alone, and always tell an adult first and meet in a public place.
- Only use a webcam with people you know.
- Tell an adult they trust immediately if they encounter anything they are unhappy with.
- Report concerns to the Child Exploitation & Online Protection Centre (CEOP).