At Shepwell We Love Reading!
Reading is so important for our pupils development and future outcomes...
Promoting the love of reading is a big part of what we do at Shepwell, staff and pupils discuss their favourite books and enjoy shared reading experiences in form groups and in lessons throughout the week.
We believe that reading a book can be a fun and enjoyable way to spend leisure time. Books can take you to new worlds, introduce you to new characters, and provide a way to escape from everyday life! Reading is also proven to enhance wellbeing and social skills.
We strive to make the curriculum flexible and enjoyable for all our pupils. Being confident readers means the curriculum and the wider world are accessible and inspiring, we want our pupils to achieve success and understanding the written word is vital in their journey to the achieving their personal aspirations for the future.
We promote reading for pleasure is part of our every day practice:
- Book clubs and talking about our recommended reads
- Quality time for independent reading
- Teachers sharing their books and reading aloud
- Sharing understanding of texts (comprehension) with teachers and peer groups
- Events such as book shop visits (to buy a book of pupils choice), visiting libraries for workshops, speaking to authors and receiving specialist teaching
- Running competitions, including taking photographs of us reading in interesting places!
We also have a rewards system to celebrate pupils achievements in reading. This includes receiving tokens for our book vending machine, invitations to rewards events and being nominated by staff for 'Reader of the Week'.
We are always looking for new ways for our whole school community to celebrate and enjoy reading together therefore, our reading provision is always growing!